Sunday, July 27, 2008

Admirers young and old alike

Louise and I were down to the seawall a couple hours before the fireworks show and the crowds were already forming. We were stopped by several people, but in particular were these two children who like most children, had dozens of questions for me about Louise, like how old she was, what her name was, the usual sort of stuff.

Louise generally likes times like this though, since she is what I would consider to be a 'people dog' in that she really enjoys the company of humans - especially compared to cats. Dogs can be okay, but they do have a habit of getting on her bad side if they act out. Like this one dog that was being held on a leash by this scruffy old man - as soon as it saw Louise it started to growl and bark and show bared teeth. It's owner just stood there and stared at it, and generally did nothing about the situation. Eventually Louise started to bark back at the other dog so I had to calm her down somewhat and give them extra room as we walked away.

But that was an exception. I would say that everyone else that met Louise that day was friendly and happy to see her, including one elderly couple who also had more than just a few questions about Louise, like how much does she shed, how old is she, do I think that pugs are a good breed of dog to own, etc. The questions were worded differently, but they were not all that different from the ones of the children.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Leaving aside the innate cuteness of your subject---your new camera produces very crisp pictures. What kind of camera did you get?

iTripped said...

It's a Nikon S210 and I went a little bit over budget to get something that is extra small. I'm still getting used to it though so I find I am taking a LOT of pictures to learn how to best use it. Well that, and some heavy tweaking with the GIMP and other photo editors. But I suppose that doesn't have much to do with the sharpness as I can't really enhance that too much.

I got the camera for about $180 CAD at Futureshop, which is owned by Best Buy here in Canada. I find it helps to have something 'pocketable' so that it gets brought along on dog walks, as opposed to leaving it behind because of being too bulky.

Sandy said...

I'll have to remember that when I get a new camera myself. I have had Nikons for years and really like the quality. But, like you I now go for a smaller one so that I don't leave it at home. My brother-in-law is a professionally trained photographer and he is having a great deal of fun with my HEAVY SLR ;-)

iTripped said...

Alternately, I would recommend getting a Canon SD1000. It's about the same size, also rated very well and only about 7.1 megapixels which actually helps when it comes to posting photos online. Too big means you have to crop or resize before uploading. Plus, it's generally a little cheaper than the Nikon.