Monday, August 29, 2005

Attacked by plants


On the move
Originally uploaded by iTripped.
Louise and I went for our morning walk last Saturday, and had a bit of an adventure. As we explored a nearby field Louise managed to step on some sort of a stinging nettle. I'm not sure if that is what it is called, but this thing had very sharp and long spikes that made it almost impossible to remove. It looked like a piece of cactus.

Louise usually keeps up with me on our walks, so when she stopped and sat down, I suspected something was up. She was clearly favoring one of her back paws, and it didn't take long to see the green, spike covered pod attached to her.

There was no easy way to remove the pod, so I had to grab it and pull it off. This involved holding the dog still, and unfortunately, also impaling my fingers on the spikes in order to get a good enough grip on it to remove it safely. After removing the pod, I then had to inspect her foot to remove any spikes that were still attached. There were a few.

Louise the Explorer
Originally uploaded by iTripped.

After that, we paused to take our breath and I snapped a few pictures of the area. Just as we were about to leave, I noticed that Louise had managed to find ANOTHER pod, this time stuck to her other foot. She was less willing to cooperate this time, since she knew what I was going to do. Still, I managed to get her free of spikes and also decided to carry her out of the field to avoid further adventure.

I'll post a picture of the cactus-pod-thing on my other blog. If anyone knows what kind of plant we stumbled onto, I'd love to know.

No comments: